Monday, May 12, 2008

Rockish



I was well entertained last week. I saw two very enjoyable concerts- neither changed my life, but both left me satisfied.
I am talking about Devatchka (@First Ave), and the Kills (@Triple Rock, aka, my new favorite place to see music).

Fresh on my mind are The Kills. 
Their most recent album "Midnight Boom", was my introduction to the band. Again, it doesn't blow me away, but it is fun and dirty enough to keep me listening.
The show was fucking sexy, it was easy-sexy, the way you think sexy is supposed to look- but I was into it. These two play the part of "Rocker" so well. They seriously looked like they walked into Joann Fabrics and said "Two rocker costumes please."
Mosshart and Hince have good chemistry; it's the kind of chemistry that can't just be for show. Hince makes these stiff, angular, Ian Curtis-type movements, and Mosshart throws herself around in near perfect rocker form, with precise fits and spasms. The hair, the sweat, the eyes rolling back, and the pacing was all to f-ing cool for school man!
They are trying really hard to put on a sexy rock show, they bring all the elements one would expect at good show, they even have a screen behind them with projections of other cool, and notable rock stars and rock events- just so you know, that they know, what's cool.
These two work hard, and totally believe in it.
Which is really all I can ever expect of anyone who makes things.

I will definitly be seeing more shows at the TRock too.
 

No comments: